:: ParamList :: exec sh.GetBlogInfo @DomainName = '.com' , @Language = 'en-US' , @BusinessUnit = 'SH' , @BlogCategory = '__ALL__' , @BlogType = 'Blog' , @BlogURL = 'breathwork-and-mindfulness-techniques' , @Brand = '__ALL__' ,
Breathwork and Mindfulness Techniques
December 7, 2021
It’s not lost on any of us that the past months have shifted our routines, and we have started to rethink what we do on a daily basis. We have all been forced to find new ways to center, to ground, to de-stress, to reset, and to find the "happy" in life again amidst all the unknown swirling around us each day. After all, in the big scheme of things, this moment in history is but a chapter in the larger novel of our lives.
So, let’s lean into what we do have control over and find what works for us where mindfulness is concerned, discovering ways to embrace what is right here, right in front of us with zero judgment. At its core, mindfulness is finding the sweet spot in the spaces between each breath you take.
What Is Mindfulness?
First, let me give a deeper definition of mindfulness and share how this practice can be a game changer and really should be in everyone’s self-care/wellness tool belt.
Mindfulness is the art of living and being in the present moment—with complete awareness both mentally and physically—while allowing all the emotions, sensations, and thoughts to exist without judgment of self or others.
Mindfulness practice offers many benefits and is often referred to as a "superpower". Here are the main benefits of practicing mindfulness. This is just the shortlist of the benefits - the actual entire list is quite long!
- Reduces anxiety and stress - this study shows how even just one session of mindfulness meditation can greatly reduce anxiety.
- Gives your brain an upgrade through the rewiring that takes place during consistent mindfulness practices
- Provides multiple health benefits such as higher brain functioning, improved immune function, lowered blood pressure, and lowered heart rate
- Improves mental functions by increasing awareness, with greater clarity and focus, a sense of calm, and a feeling of greater connection
- Reduces feelings of depression, self-criticism, and increases resilience to difficulties
Now, let’s dive into how we can cultivate an at-home or on-the-go mindfulness practice that is guaranteed to introduce you to a whole new YOU. Below I’m sharing several of my favorite mindfulness practices, including breathwork and meditation that can take place anytime and anywhere.
- Engage in activity that involves mental focus as well as movement. Examples include rock climbing, yoga, trail running, martial arts, painting, or dance styles like hip hop, tango, salsa, jazz, etc. These sorts of activities demand mindfulness due to the precision and technicality of the activity along with the mind/body connection required to master it.
- Create a daily mindful breathing practice that consists of breath awareness exercises. The goal of this type of breathwork is to get present with the inflow and outflow of the breath by noticing the length of each breath, the sensations of the breath, and all the nuances that take place with each wave of the breath cycle.
- Practice moving meditations. This is a different style than traditional seated meditation and is done by simply becoming aware of your breath, your surroundings, your senses, and each movement as you engage in any regular activity throughout the day.
A Morning Mindfulness and Wellness Routine
I like to do my morning moving meditation in the shower using the Waterpik® PowerPulse Therapeutic Strength Massage shower head, this helps me take advantage of the time before my day gets crazy. And the heat of the water has calming effects as well.
Slowly run the shower head over any sore muscles to help release tension. As you move up the body breathe into each new area and see where you might need to add some self-massage. If you have the Waterpik® PowerPulse Therapeutic Strength Massage shower head, take a few minutes to use the massage spray on that area until relief is found and the body scan is complete.
As a final component, end with three to five minutes of affirmations. I’ve found that singing or rapping them has been more connecting for me over the last few years...seriously, give it a try! You’ll see what I mean. If you are looking for a quick meditation to do, check out my video at the end of the blog post.
Grow Your Mindfulness Superpower
Start with these mindfulness practices to create more mindfulness throughout each day and watch as your connection and interaction to yourself and with the world around you begins to transform. Remember, you are always just one breath away from “happy and healthy”.
Bio: Rebecca Kordecki
Rebecca Kordecki has spent 25 years as a highly sought-after celebrity fitness trainer, massage therapist, health and wellness specialist and is the founder of The Breath Zone. She specializes in wellness remedies that relieve stress, anxiety and promote healthy living.
Water for Wellness Council
Rebecca is a member of our Water for Wellness Council, a group of health and wellness experts with varying expertise ranging from fitness to physical and massage therapy.
Watch the video below for a guided meditation: